Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A quick something or other from Amanda

Hello everyone
Just a very short and quick note about how this experience has been for me so far.

I am really enjoying both the experience of a new culture and the feeling that I am doing work that will actually impact and improve the lives of many people. I think it is also a good thing that we are going out into the world to see and work with different levels of poverty and get to experience the people of other lands from a different perspective. I am really enjoying my host family as well and I find it so cool that I can communicate with people who do not speak my language, and to put my years of spanish into practical use; with this family we are staying with, Alana and I have had many exciting adventures including nightly hours of playing uno, 80's music, and one frankly hilarious incedent involving an ant, a napkin holder, and hot chocolate. I really love the plant life and the wildlife here - everything is so colorful! The humidity is killing me, but apart from that it is one of the more amazing things I've done in my life. The place where we are working currently (as I´m sure all the other posts state as well) is La Promesa and working to better the quality of life for the women and their families there is really rewarding, wether it be making paths, digging, hauling rocks, plaing cards with the kids (which is a lot of fun, even when they cheat) or any number of other things. The food here is lovely, even though we are overloaded with it everytime we even hint that we are hungry. Well, that was my short entry that turned out to be not quite as short as I was hoping for; I guess I just had more to say than I thought I did. Anyhow, that's all for now. Hasta Luego!

-Amanda

No comments: