Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Kayla´s perspective at this very moment...

Thirty-one of us here in Santa Ana...we´re doing so much together and the question does come up ¨how is it different to be here as UU´s than in any other group?¨ After just finishing a full group discussion I´ve got just a couple of thoughts to share on the subject. Some of us came here never having heard of a chalice before. Some have been in R.E. programs for years. And we also have those in this group who are leaders in the fellowship and have chosen to be Unitarian Universalist so deliberately. So we´re all in our own places with what it means to be UU, but we´re also here through that connection.
Gail Nystrom tells us that this group is different because we have worked all year for this experience! Apparentely she often works with ¨troubled youth¨or whatever term applies for those who are sent here to do community service work. But we are here so differently. We are excited to make this progress, to be here, to see so much! And I am loving all of it.
The work at La Promesa is extraordinary! The plants here have so many colors! We went to a beautiful waterfal yesterday and swam under it. So I am enjoying my time here. I love these people I am with and am learning so much. Never before have I been on an international trip where my perspective is changing and my eyes are opening to another culture so much. I really love where I am!
Kayla

No comments: